LX CLUB at Bowdon & Deeside

3rd & 4th July 2010

Saturday 3rd July.    Bowdon 9 LX Reds 1

As the score suggests this was a very tough challenge for the LX O60’s Capetown team and it soon became apparent that the opposition had it in mind that there would be no repeat of the previous years score when the England Lions side inflicted an eight goals to nil defeat upon the hosts. Not only did we concede the eight goal difference of the previous year we also conceded an average 15 years per player!

From the outset Bowdon took control of the game and by half time had rattled up four goals without reply and LX had not had a shot at the opposition goal. Strangely enough neither defence had conceded any penalty corners and all goals came from open play.

We had no substitutes but at half time the team was changed slightly and it was decided to play a more attacking formation as the option of packing the defence would not bring about any constructive play. This worked to a degree and although the second half score was much the same we did at least manage a goal which followed a rare defensive slip by the Bowdon defence when Dave Durrans gained possession and passed to Bob Grenside who put the chance away in style. We did create further opportunities and in particular a further two good chances one of which was saved and the other just slipping past the far post.

The after match repast in the clubhouse was excellent and Bowdon are to be congratulated upon their usual, renowned after match hospitality.

Sunday 4th July.     Deeside Ramblers 1 LX Reds 0

After being overwhelmed by a very good young fit side the previous day the LX Reds were looking towards a game with better matched opposition which was kindly provided by Colin Pearce at Deeside Ramblers. The LX playing strength was not helped by Bob Grenside reporting in with an injury from the previous day but fortunately Richard Williams was added to the team. Our guest goalkeeper was Ian King from Deeside who played really well and kept us in the game while the still aching limbs from the previous day had chance to loosen up. With Bill Pickersgill and Dave Ewing at the heart of defence playing very well, we got into our stride and began to play better hockey although the heavily sanded pitch dictated that the passing had to be clipped at pace to stand any chance of reaching its destination. We did have a chance to go ahead when the alert Frank Hardy almost capitalised on a defensive mistake and although making a good interception his shot was just wide of the near post. Deeside took the lead just before half time when at shot at goal was stopped by a defenders foot and the penalty stroke was duly converted.

As the second half progressed LX became more prominent in midfield with Geoff Lucas and Alastair Robertson finding more space and Dave Ewing was also to be seen crossing the halfway line and joining in the attacks! LX were rewarded with a penalty stroke which was unfortunately missed and we were unable to score in a game which ended with LX losing for the second time in two days but having achieved the objective of a good get together before Capetown.

The after match barbecue at Deeside was, as always, excellent and thanks were duly recorded to Colin and Margaret Pearce and their many helpers at Deeside for a most enjoyable day.

LX Squad: David B Read, Bill Pickersgill, Dave Ewing, Roger Lomas, Geoff Lucas, Alastair Robertson, Ray Jeff, Dave Durrans, Bob Grenside, Frank Hardy, Richard Williams