England SGM  1  v.  Scotland Veterans XI  0

Played at Maiden Castle, Durham  20th June 2010

Playing on the facilities of Durham University, England started in confident style, taking the game to their opponents. With David Wright, Andy Holden and Brian Tubb dominating the midfield, both wingers were receiving a good supply of ball and the Scots defenders were hard pressed to cope with the England attack and struggling to get into the England half of the field. Ten minutes into the game, a swift move down the right found Gerry Kort  in space and as the Scots defence moved across to cover, they could only prevent a score by bundling Bill Warrender over as he shaped to put the ball into the undefended goal. Brian Tubb stepped up to convert the penalty stroke. Endeavouring to extend the advantage Peter Danson and Gerald Wilkinson linked effectively with the midfield and John Land on the left went close. England’s domination led to a number of penalty corners, but, disappointingly they were unable to muster a scoring chance. With Mike Fripp in goal failing to get a first half touch, the 1-0  half time score did not reflect the pattern of the game.

Resuming after the break, Scotland were finding more space and putting pressure on the England midfield. Retaining possession, Scotland were growing in confidence and exchanges were much more even. With errors creeping in to the England game and possession being conceded too easily, England found themselves with their backs to the wall and regretting the first half opportunities that had been wasted. For the first time in the game the English defenders, George Hazell, Leon Mack and Gilbert Grace were under pressure and Scotland forced a number of penalty corners when England failed to clear their lines. England then replied and were unfortunate not to put the game out of reach when the ball rebounded from a post and Scotland cleared. With the game now much more even, it was a relief to hear the final whistle which sounded as the Scots failed to capitalise with yet another penalty corner.

England Squad: D Wright (Capt.); M Fripp; G Hazell; L Mack; B Tubb; G Wilkinson;  G Grace; A Holden; G Kort; J Land; P Danson; W Warrender