Bowdon/Deeside weekend - 4/5 July 2009

[Reports awaited for the A team v Bowdon on July 4 and v Deeside Ramblers on July 5 ].

Bowdon XI 2  v.  LX 1 on 4th July
Taking to the field with a guest appearance from Bill Perret of Deeside Ramblers, LX opened up in aggressive mood
  and were immediately onto the attack. New member Dave Ewing, supported by Andy Holden, Colin Pearce and Sudesh Nayar in midfield provided a supply of ball to the forwards, putting the Bowdon defenders under pressure. LX created a number of good chances but were unable to finish as defenders managed a number of last ditch tackles to deny a score. Bowdon were largely pinned into their own half, making sporadic excursions towards the LX goal which were dealt with by the defensive trio of Alan Jackson at sweeper and full backs David Margerison and Roger Lomas. With half time approaching and LX desperate to score, things went pear shaped as Bowdon finally made it into the LX circle and opened the scoring, giving Alan Dures in goal, no chance.
The second half commenced with LX intent on gaining parity and they moved forward with greater purpose. With Bill Perret and Bill Warrender interchanging intelligently and John Land active on the right wing the Bowdon goal was again threatened. Winning a short corner on the left, LX finally got on terms when Sudesh Nayar was left free to strike and a solid drive thudded into the backboard. Buoyed up by this success, LX endeavoured to move into the lead but were undone when possession was conceded in midfield and Bowdon moved back into the lead when a bouncing ball evaded several LX sticks and fell to a grateful Bowdon forward who prodded the ball home. With time running out, LX returned to the attack
  but were now tiring and unable to penetrate the Bowdon defence. As the final whistle went LX looked back on a game that they really should have won, having had a territorial advantage and a host of chances which were missed.  

Squad; A. Dures; A. Jackson;D. Margerison; R. Lomas; S Nayar; D. Ewing;C. Pearce; A. Holden; B. Warrender; J. Land; and guest, B.Perret.



 LX 2 v Old Wulfarians 2 on July 5

I am not certain whether it is the previous night’s hospitality from Bowdon or the difference between the pitches at Tiverton and Bowdon that makes this LX fixture start off so slowly. This year was no exception.

Both sides took a while to adapt to the pitch with neither team gaining or conceding any territory as they passed the ball around looking for an opening near the circles that was not forthcoming. A Sunday morning start with the defences comfortably in control and the majority of the play in mid-field. LX probably had the territorial advantage in that they had a few more (unsuccessful ) short corners but their attacks were breaking down in their desire to strike too early for goal. Whereas Old Wulfs’ sorties from mid-field were swifter and from the wings but successful covering from Alan Jackson ,David Margerison and Roger Lomas meant that Alan Dures was left with only the more difficult situations to deal with to keep the score sheet at zero. That is apart from the save on the line from a short corner by Roger Lomas after Dures had saved the first strike. The desire of LX to press forward to score resulted in the defenders being always susceptible to  lack of cover from the mid-field when Old Wulfs broke away. The back and forth in this vein continued to half time with both sides keeping the other at bay.

A hot day meant much intake of water and a change of tactics; Andy Holden who had been regularly tackling back from the right wing swapped wings with John Land; the defence settled for complete zonal marking; and Alan Jackson would, when he could, venture forward from his defensive role. Nett result was that the defence looked more composed but Old Wulfs scored from their second penalty corner of the half. Was it too high before it was deflected down onto the back-board by the defender on the line behind Alan Dures? The umpire did not think so.

LX continued to try to redress the balance by taking the game to and keeping the Old Wulfs defence under pressure only to be regularly thwarted by close marking and goalkeeper saves particularly from Bill Warrender who was becoming more and more an inviting target for LX to hit in the circle. All was not in LX’s total control and the defence had to be on their toes to shut out Old Wulfs’ sorties. One slip was all that was needed and Old Wulfs’ took their chance to go further ahead when their centre forward had a solo run on Alan Dures. His first strike at the ball was a miss of the ball and Alan’s slide to the ground to save it gave the centre forward the opportunity to run the ball around him into the empty goal.

Two goals to make up seemed to be unjust reward for our efforts but more of the same at last brought some success. After a series of short corners Sudesh Nayar followed up the save from David Ewing’s short corner strike to reduced the arrears. LX continued to pressurise Old Wulfs’ defence and with an interception from a defensive clearance Sudesh Nayar had an unchallenged run to the circle. A well placed and well struck shot in the corner of the goal drew the scores level at 2-2. This ended the scoring but not the chances as LX went for the win and forced Old Wulfs to make several interception clearances and a save off the line behind their keeper.

The afternoon ended with a beer and a BBQ at Deeside Ramblers clubhouse for which LX sincerely thank Deeside Ramblers, who also kindly organised the umpires to whom we also extend our thanks.


LX Team:   Alan Dures, Alan Jackson, David Margerison, Roger Lomas, Colin Pearce, David Ewing(Prospective member), Sudesh Nayar, Andy Holden, Bill Warrender, John Land, Adrian Money.

Manager & Reporter: John Land