Windermere Weekend, 29th/30th April 2006


With this weekend again proving to be extremely popular with LXers, sufficient numbers were available to put out two sides against local opposition. Although results were disappointing, a thoroughly enjoyable gathering provided good facilities for both accommodation and play, good food, LX camaraderie and superb Lakeland weather, all put together by Andy Holden in his own inimitable style!

Lakelanders XI  3  v.  LX Whites  2


With LX taking time to settle, Lakelanders were quickly into their stride and moved into an early lead when a swift move down the right was finished in style, the ball being carried past three defenders followed by a fierce shot which gave Alan Dures no chance. Despite this early reverse, LX were unable to raise their game and with 15 minutes gone found themselves two goals in arrears when Lakelanders capitalised on a loose ball in the ‘D’. This at last stimulated LX and, prompted by Colin Pearce and David Margerison, the margin was reduced when Rob Allchin latched onto a cross and steered the ball home. Opening the second half, LX kept up the pressure and after a series of short corners, were rewarded when Rob Allchin was again on hand to equalise. With the game seemingly headed for a draw, LX were punished after another series of unproductive short corners, Lakelanders breaking quickly to score an opportunist winner in the last minute. This was a game which LX should have won but paid dearly for failing to convert any of the many penalty corner chances.

Pallatics  2  v.  LX Reds  0


With Graham Martin nursing a crushed finger LX were obliged to field a guest player for this game against a strong Pallatics XI. Play commenced in glorious spring sunshine and LX opened brightly, moving the ball around and concentrating on holding possession. With Mike Gale and Alan Jackson organising the midfield, supported by David Robson, the early exchanges were fairly even and both defences were able to contain opposing forwards. With 20 minutes gone LX were undone when a hard cross from the left was deflected goalwards, hitting Jim Standish on the visor and dropping behind him into goal. Raising their game after this stroke of good fortune, Pallatics moved into a two-goal lead from a short corner, the direct strike from the top of the ‘D’ thumping into the backboard!

An enforced change for LX brought John Longden to centre forward for the second half, with Mike Beaney taking up the full-back slot. Moving onto the offensive from the restart, LX took the game to Pallatics, Brian Woolcott in particular making ground down the right, but when LX did eventually force the ball over the line the goal was disallowed.  As the half progressed the increased effort from LX began to take its toll and Pallatics again threatened, but the defence held firm and there was no further score.


West Cumbria  2 v.  LX Reds  0


With John Longden unable to take his place through injury, Graham Martin was pressed into service at centre forward. Stung by the poor result from the previous day, LX opened with the intention of taking the game to the opposition. Unable to take control of the midfield, LX came under increasing pressure with the West Cumbrians using both wings to good effect and the defence, with Leon Mack and Mike Beaney at full stretch, struggled to hold the situation. With 15 minutes gone, West Cumbria took the lead from a penalty stroke, the ball having been adjudged to have been stopped on the line by an LX foot. Taking the initiative, LX pushed forward and the Cumbrians were forced onto the defensive. LX won a series of short corners, but were unable to capitalise and as half time approached, the Cumbrians extended their lead after a smart exchange of passes.  With Alan Jackson having to retire with a hamstring problem, yet another reshuffle proved necessary, David Read coming on as substitute and strengthening the defence whilst Mike Beaney moved forward into the right midfield. The pattern of the second half continued in the same vein, LX creating a number of half chances and short corners but unable to take advantage and the game ended with second half honours even.


Pallatics  3  v.  LX Whites 2


LX began brightly and Pallatics found themselves under early pressure. With Tony Jones in lively mood, well supported by Tom Darlington and Andy Holden, LX threatened to take control. As Pallatics began to come more into the game, they were given a shock when, from a sharp break down the right, Rob Allchin found Tony Jones. With only the ’keeper to beat, Jones finished with aplomb at the second attempt! Gaining in confidence, LX continued to attack and moved into a two-goal lead following a short corner. Rob Allchin finishing after a Tony Jones shot had been saved by the ’keeper. Finding themselves two goals in arrears spurred Pallatics into action. The deficit was reduced after a series of attacks put the LX goal under siege and Pallatics finally found a way past Alan Dures. LX strived to hold the advantage but the inevitable equaliser came before half time despite the efforts of David Read and John Widgery. With Austyn Leaverland nursing his new hip, Bill Warrender replaced him for the second half and LX resumed intent on restoring their lead. As the half progressed, Pallatics began to increase the pressure. LX were fortunate to survive, firstly when the ball struck the post and then thanks to a superb piece of goalkeeping by Alan Dures. With 10 minutes to go, Pallatics were eventually rewarded, when a smart raid down the right was turned into goal. With time running out, LX returned to the attack but failed to apply the finishing touch when well placed.


LX Whites: Colin Pearce(c); John Widgery; David Read; David Margerison; Austyn Leaverland; Rob Allchin; Tom Darlington; Andy Holden.


LX Reds: Alan Jackson(c); Jim Standish; Leon Mack; Mike Beaney; John Longden; Mike Gale; Dave Robson; Tony Jones; Brian Woolcott; Bill Warrender.


Umpires: Wendy Beaney (LX); Colin Cameron; John Stewart; Roger Peake; Mark Davidson; (CCHUA)


Bill Warrender