LX Great Grand Masters vs Canterbury Grand Masters

at Canterbury, Sunday 26th March 2006 

With Leon Mack having to withdraw from the squad at the last minute because of injury, LX options were limited but they were nevertheless able to take to the field with a strong XI who would hopefully provide the core of this year’s Great Grand Masters side.
For Canterbury, Tony Jones had mustered what was billed as the first Grand Masters side put together by an English club and the occasion got a mention in the local press.
Taking the field in ideal conditions and playing on the water based Canterbury facility, LX began tentatively. The early exchanges were evenly contested as both sides endeavoured to get into their stride and dominate the midfield. With 10 minutes gone, LX stepped up the pace and took a deserved lead when Gerald Wilkinson found space on the right and drawing defenders, slipped a simple pass inside for Bill Warrender to guide the ball into the net.
With the home side determined to put up a good performance, LX were forced to defend as the Canterbury midfield, with LXers Bill Butcher and Tony Jones prominent, threatened the LX ‘25’, but sound work by Mike Beaney and David Birch repelled the danger. With the exchanges about even, LX moved further ahead with a second goal, which was a repeat of the first, Gerald Wilkinson providing and Bill Warrender finishing. With a two-goal advantage LX began to play with more fluency and with half time approaching a loose clearance from a Canterbury defender was collected by Alan Jackson from whose pass, Bill Warrender flicked into goal. Half time score 3-0.
From the restart, Canterbury moved with more urgency and LX were put under pressure. Colin Pearce and David Wright were fully occupied containing the threat. However, with Canterbury defenders moving up in support, a quick break out from defence to Andy Holden on the right caught them napping and from the resultant cross, Bill Warrender notched his fourth of the game. The pattern of play continued in the same vein and Canterbury finally found a way past Mike Fripp when Tony Jones was on hand to deflect a rising drive into goal. With time running out, LX added a fifth goal when George Hazell made a smart interception, fed the ball up to the byline and Keith Hedley swept the cross firmly past the ’keeper. 

After-match hospitality was of the highest order and we were once again well supported by the LX ladies. 

Team: David Wright (capt); Mike Fripp; Mike Beaney; David Birch; George Hazell; Colin Pearce; Andy Holden; Gerald Wilkinson; Bill Warrender; Alan Jackson; Keith Hedley.

Umpires: Lee Hare and Chris Owen (Canterbury)

Bill Warrender.