Bowdon/Deeside Weekend – Saturday/Sunday 17th/18th June

Saturday 17th June   

LX A   1    Bowdon  1 

With Ken Wilcock playing against his own club, LX immediately went onto the attack and Bowdon were hard pressed, finding it difficult to get any early possession. In very warm playing conditions, the LX assault faltered and Bowdon began to assert themselves as an attacking foray into the LX half resulted in a shot going over Alan Dures’ bar. LX replied forcing a short corner, from which John Land got in a shot, but the effort was saved. As half time approached, exchanges were much more even and Richard Clarke went close with a powerful drive.

Raising their game from the restart, LX immediately forced a corner from which Ken Wilcock found the target, but the effort was disallowed on a technicality. Maintaining their impetus, LX then moved into the lead with a sweeping move down the left wing involving neat interpassing from Colin Pearce to David Gill and on to Mike Surridge who swept the ball into the net. The lead was short-lived, and slightly against the run of play Bowdon produced an immediate reply, catching the LX defence on the wrong foot. Back in attacking mode, LX raised the pace of the game and created further chances for Rod Cochrane and Peter Ross, but then were fortunate not to go behind when a mix up in defence allowed Bowdon a chance to score, but the shot was six inches wide of the post. This was a typically competitive match and once again Bowdon proved a very difficult side to beat.

LX B  2  North Wales Select 0

The usual demand to play at Bowdon was disrupted this year by the nearness of the weekend to the European championships in Bra resulting in the late introduction of a number of guests, to whom we express our thanks.   It also enabled the club to consider such guests as members. It was also a pleasant surprise to learn the John Longden was on the recovery from an achilles tendon injury.  A regular use of substitutes enabled everyone to have the maximum amount of playing time without disrupting the confident way in which LX played in this game. The confidence was a little low in the early stages but quickly grew when the defence settled down and regularly broke up the Welsh attacks and swiftly fed the midfield where Nigel Spencer-Knott was in fine form. This dominance soon led to LX taking the lead after a sustained period of pressure on the Welsh goal  - an attack from the right produced a save by the Welsh ’keeper but David Blackmore was on hand to place the rebound in the net.  LX continued to control the game but were unable to add to their score before half time.

The second half was more evenly contested but our hosts were unable to break the strangle hold LX held of the midfield and on the odd occasions when they succeeded in breaking free they were prevented from entering the D by an organised LX defence.   At the other end LX were thwarted by some fine saves by the Welsh keeper and, at times, by their own inability to find the telling pass at the end of their attacks. There was no way in which LX looked like loosing their lead and they finished the day with a well-taken goal from a penalty corner. Gerald Wilkinson struck a well-placed pass, from the head of the circle, just wide of the right hand post where Bill Warrender was on the spot to deflect the ball into the net.  Had this been practised in Bra?   Be it so or not, it produced a 2-0 victory that was well deserved.

Sunday 18th June

LX A  2    Deeside Ramblers  0

In much cooler playing conditions LX immediately found themselves under pressure from a lively Ramblers side. Soaking up the early attacks LX began to find their rhythm and play became more even. Having weathered a couple of short corners, LX broke down the left, David Gill’s centre found Rod Cochrane , who, taking a defender with him, slipped the ball back to John Land who finished with a crisp shot. With LX forcing a number of short corners, Ramblers were lucky not to concede a second goal when an Adey Robertson piledriver was saved on the line by the full back and they held out for a 1-0 deficit at the interval. Determined to get back on level terms, Ramblers pushed forward and the LX defenders had their hands full repelling a series of attacks and short corners. Alan Dures was powerless to prevent a deflected ball looping over his head and into goal, but the umpire ruled that an obstruction had taken place and the effort was disallowed. With Ramblers committed to attack, they were exposed and a break out from defence left Rod Cochrane with only the onrushing ’keeper to beat. With the ’keeper leaving the circle, he was only able to use his stick and Rod was left with a simple run into the unguarded goal to make the final score 2-0

LX B  0    Old Wulfarians  2

With John Longden deciding to rest and David Blackmore departing, the LXB numbers returned to full strength with arrival of David Margerison.   Unfortunately they were unable to repeat Saturday’s performance mainly due to the determination, fitness and freshness of the Old Wulfarians.  Further strong displays by Nigel Spencer-Knott and Leon Mack were not sufficient to prevent Old Wulfs from taking the lead after ten minutes – a sweeping attack down the right was played back from the back line and a first time strike left LX guest ’keeper with no chance to save. The first half continued with Old Wulfs having the territorial advantage before they increased their lead with a shot from an acute angle to the right of LX goal being deflected in off the ’keeper’s glove in a vain attempt to save from the rebound of his first save. The second half was more evenly contested but was notable for the strength of the two defences.  As a result both sets of forwards were regularly frustrated allowing neither side to have many shots on goal.  Although Old Wulfs had the more short corners, these were well defended by LX, whilst at the other end Gerald Wilkinson and Bill Warrender could not find a way to reduce the deficit.  Stalemate prevailed with both sides striving to win the game with play moving up and down, but with no further goals, leaving a final score at 2-0 to Old Wulfarians


LX thanks are expressed to those who umpired and to both Bowdon and Deeside Ramblers for their usual wonderful hospitality.  Dinner at Bowdon club on the Saturday evening was thoroughly enjoyed by a party of approximately seventy of which nearly half were from LX and the barbeque at Deeside on Sunday lunchtime was as equally enjoyable and delicious, for this we owe special thanks to Margaret Pearce for producing such a magnificent spread.

LX A: Alan Dures, Richard Clarke, Adrian Robertson, Alan Jackson, Colin Pearce, John Land, Ken Wilcock, Mike Surridge, Peter Ross, Rod Cochrane, David Gill.                             

LX B:  Andy Lear (guest), Gilbert Grace, Leon Mack, John Donnelly, Nigel Spencer-Knott (guest), Richard Landholt, Rob Allchin, Gerald Wilkinson, Bill Warrender, Tom Darlington, David Blackmore (guest/Sat only), John Longden (Sat only), David  Margerison (Sun only).