LX Intra Club Day At Timperley Hockey Club

Wednesday 13th April 2016

Reds 1 Whites 2

Reds Team: Glyn Thomas [GK], Graham Small, Andy Holden, Paul Dallas, Tony Neeve, Ian Knox, Tony Taig, Trevor Denison [Capt], Bill Warrender, Richard Yardley, Mike Couttie.

Whites Team: Roger Parr [Gk] John Donnelly, Nick Kennerley [Capt], Colin Pearce, Kevin White, Alastair Robertson, Peter Danson, Martin Hall, Angus Brogdon, John Housham, John Stone.

A rare response for a Match Reporter developed at Timperley. Two people volunteered to report, one from each team and their reports are below.

Report from the Whites

A lovely sunny day greeted us at Timperley along with coffee and cakes in the club house. It was decided by the captains to play four seventeen and a half minute games.

First .

From the off, the Whites captained by Nick Kennerley dominated the play earning an early penalty corner. This was saved and cleared by guest keeper Glyn Thomas. After ten minutes of White’s pressure the Reds earned a penalty corner, this was cleared by Parr with an aerial kick only to be put back into the D and cleared off the line by Donnelly. Whites pressure lead to another penalty corner which was pushed in by Housham to Robertson who passed it to Kevin White, it was then returned to Housham who placed it into the goal.


During the second quarter there were good passages of play from both teams but not many scoring opportunities.


The third quarter started with the Reds having a long period of pressure with the Whites finding it difficult to get out of their own half. Late in the quarter Brogden took the ball into the D and earned a penalty corner. This led to a goal from Hall with the ball just trickling over the line to make the score 2-0 to the Whites.


End to end play with some excellent passing and defending saw the Reds upping the pressure. This resulted in a goal from Yardley who had received an excellent pass from Couttie. The Reds kept up the pressure towards the end of the quarter and narrowly missed the opportunity to level the game. Whites won by two goals to one.

It was a good close game played in a sporting manner and congratulations must go to John Donnelly for selecting two very even teams. As the clouds came over it signalled a return to the club house for liquid refreshment, good banter and an excellent lunch, which brought a lovely ending to the day.

Thanks must go to John Donnelly for his organisational skills, the two umpires Alan Jerrold and Keith Winterbourne and also David and Jackie Ewing for their continuing support of North LX Hockey.

Match Reporter for the Whites: Pauline Parr


Report from the Red Team.

Thank you for arranging the game for a Welshman to play in goal for you.

The man of the match on the Red Team from my perspective was Graham Small. He covered a lot of the field and made a lot of important tackles in defence as well as supporting the attack with crosses from the right wing. The defence was ably bolstered by Andy Holden despite his advancing years with Tony Neeve in front of him aided by Ian Knox and Tony Taig. The defence held tight but the Whites managed to get on top at the start of the game and eventually scored a goal in the corner out of reach of Andy Holden and Glyn Thomas.

The third quarter was definitely the Red Team's finest session with Paul Dallas causing the opposition problems and our captain Trevor Denison taking control in midfield. We moved the ball well making use of a sprightly Bill Warrender on the right of the attack ably assisted in that area of the field by Graham Small. Eventually we managed to get a cross in from the right to enable Richard Yardley to score.

Mike Couttie moved the ball well and the Red Team continued to press but the White Team broke away and scored the winner with a powerful shot that Glyn stopped but could not help the ball spinning past other defenders into the goal.

Timperley was an excellent venue where we were welcomed with coffee and cakes before the game to give us energy for the game and followed by an excellent lunch with suitable refreshments.

Finally a thank to John Donnelly for arranging the game and the caterers but also to the two umpires who let us get on with game played in a terrific spirit.

Match Reporter for the Reds: Glyn Thomas [Welsh Over 70s Captain]:     Editor David Ewing