LX Intra Club at Clifton College, Bristol

6th April 2016

Those attending were divided into 4 teams :-Koalas; Kangaroos; Wallabies; Wombats

Koalas Report

Koalas 1 v 0  Kangaroos

After a frenetic start the two teams began to work out who was playing where, including those on their own side, before settling down to create chances at both ends.  Our guest players (Richard and Roger) made a very welcome contribution to the game as we pressed for a goal. Having survived an early penalty stroke saved by Eric,  Nigel made a couple of changes in defence making for a more stable base to move forward in the second quarter.  The winning goal duly arrived 10 minutes from the end from John.

Koalas 5 v 2 Wallabies

We then faced the winners of the other match, adjusting our formation to counter their formidable 4 man midfield. Despite creating the first chances to score we went a goal down but quickly struck back through Trevor with an equalizer.  The second quarter was all ours as we fully utilized all 11 players, working as a team to press the opposition collectively.  It worked very well and we soon moved into the lead through Rob and then Tim with the best goal of the day.  With nowhere for the Wallabies to go a further two goals were scored by John.

It was truly a team effort that won us the day involving all 11 players, encouraging each other and working together.  Thanks to the umpires and our opposition and for the hospitality received.  A good day was had by all the Koalas. (Eric Best, John Housham, Nigel Guppy, David Bain, Richard Harrison*, Henric Kjellin, Rob Oakley, Gilbert Grace, Roger Britton*, Trevor Denison, Tim Brothers ) *Guest 

Report by John Housham



Kangaroos and Koalas


Team: Phil Barbagallo (GK), Mark Watson (Capt), Ian Redfearn*, Gordon Plummer*, Alan Hooper*, Mike Harris, George Howard, John Tripp, Balbir Singh, Paul Bickell*, Mike Tucker :*Guest

Kangaroos 0 Koalas 1

Kangaroos, ably captained by Mark WATSON, started brightly and played some good hockey putting pressure on the opposition throughout.  The team was bolstered by four 'guests' in the absence of German SINGH (injured) and Bill GOODRIDGE (couldn't get out of bed). The guests were Gordon PLUMMER, Ian REDFEARN, Alan HOOPER and Paul BICKELL.

 The team attacked strongly using both wings to good effect and were rewarded with a penalty stroke when a defender was deemed to play the ball deliberately with the back of his stick in the D.  Balbir SINGH stepped up to take it and placed the ball too close to Eric BEST in goal who save easily to his right.

The second half was more of the same from Kangaroos and a well taken short corner ended with a shot from Mark WATSON which was straight at the 'orange blob', being BEST. Unfortunately these were the only two goal bound attempts and towards the end of the game, Koalas pressed more resulting in a well taken goal by John Housham who took the ball wide of the Keeper and fired it into an empty net. Kangaroos couldn't make any further headway and ran out 0 to 1 losers against the eventual tournament winners. Mike HARRIS worked hard in mid field and deserves a mention as well as Ian REDFEARN and Gordon PLUMMER who were staunch in defence.

Kangaroos 0 Wombats 1

Again Kangaroos started well, attacking in force but were not able to place a shot on goal in the first half due to stout defending by the opposition.  Phil BARBAGALLO in goal for the Kangaroos was forced to make a number of saves from Nick KENNERLEY, keeping the score to 0 to 0 at the end of the half.  During one of the moves, Mark WATSON made an amazing interception on his reverse stick to set up an attack which did not come to anything.

The second half went the same way as in the first game and the Wombats began to put pressure on, eventually gaining a short corner which was well taken by striking it hard of the flailing Keeper for the injector to run on and cleverly deflect it past a stranded Alan HOOPER on the goal line.  Kangaroos came back and attacked again for the remaining 5 minutes, John TRIPP managing the only shot on goal saved by the Keeper on the near post.  Time then ran out ending in the same result for the losing Kangaroos.

Report by Phil Barbagallo



Team: Stuart Richards (GK)*, David Thompson (Capt), Gray Smith-Laing*, Jim Tranter, Lu Piscina, Nick Kennerley, Ian Knox, Tom Ettling*, David Smith*, Geoff Furneaux, Martin Palmer* :*Guest

Wallabies 3  Wombats 1           (game B)

The game began well with good possession from both sides but it was the Wallabies who managed to go ahead with a well taken goal.  An equaliser came shortly after as the ball was pulled back from the goal line to be swept in by Martin Palmer.  Thereafter the Wallabies began to control the game with good distribution by Brian Stokes and as the pressure began to tell, Wallabies were able to seal the win, 3-1.

Kangaroos 0  Wombats 1   (game D)

An evenly contested game and plenty of effort by all saw both sides moving the ball to effect and opportunities came and went with neither side wanting to take the lead.  Gradually though Wombats began to create openings, short corners were won and it was from one of these that Jim Tranter’s laser – like pass was deflected in for the winner by Martin Palmer.  For the Kangaroos Mark Watson was his usual reliable self at the back and for the Wombats the midfield of Nick Kennerley, Lu Piscina and Geoff Furneaux were in fine form.

Report by David Thompson   



 Wallabies  (No report)

Team – Mike Fripp (GK), Brian Stokes (Capt), Paul Atkins*, Paul Baker*, David B. Read, Jon Marshall, Bob Jameson, John Stone, Richard Gatton*, Bob Whitell, John Wilkins, Tom Illston* : *Guest