LX Lakes Tour

20/21 June 2015

Report: LX Red team

Red Team: Money, Danson, Ross, Mack, Woolcott, Lucas, Robertson, Girling (capt), Howard, Purshouse, Dures + GK

On the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, the LX Red team were sent in first as the advance party to “soften up” the Northern defenders .  Much was at stake. It was not just a matter of pride and honour, more importantly there was a bottle of Jennings brew at stake! To add to our fearsome appearance we even wore red socks.

First up, were the Cumbrian Masters. Despite their local knowledge , the locals were unable to penetrate the LX rearguard manned by Adrian Money, Roger Girling and Colin Pinks and the ultimate final barrier of Martin Ferrett. By the final whistle , it was job done and a 0-0 score line.

The North Masters were next to surface . A younger mix , obviously out to stamp their mark , they had n’t reckoned on the experience of the Reds. Indeed one glorious sweeping move almost brought a goal for Peter Ross, playing centre forward for the Reds but at the last minute the goal post must have moved. Final score was again 0-0 and it was left to the other 2 LX teams to finish off the job!

Our third game, against LX Blues looked like heading for a draw also, with Geoff Lucas, Alastair Robertson, Peter Danson and George Howard working their socks off in midfield. Alas, Dave Durrans popped up to deflect a miss hit cross (biased reporter’s licence) in to the net to steal victory.

The Reds final game of the day saw them take on a pasty looking bunch, aka LX Whites. Mysteriously the Whites took the lead and upset the Reds – a dangerous thing to do and our flying wing men , Brian Woolcott and Bob Purshouse were soon attacking at will. What surely must have been the goal of the tournament duly arrived. A sweeping move out of defence found  Danson. His agility enabled him to avoid 3 tackles , do 2 somersaults and complete an exquisite forward roll before finding Lucas. Making space for himself with some aplomb , he crossed to Ross whose deft first touch set up Howard to rifle the ball into the back of the net. George’s goal celebration routine sets a new standard to which professional footballers can only aspire.

Perhaps the excitement was too much or was it just the exertions of the day were creeping up , but 2 minutes later, the Blues scored again and the Reds were condemned to a 1-2 defeat.

After a night of reflection (plus a banquet at the Trout and the odd pint or bottle of vino or both) , the Reds were again up early on Sunday morning to take on the North masters in a one of full match, winner takes all. Leon Mack was welcomed into the team to replace Colin Pinks. Sadly, before you could say Napoleon Bonaparte, we were 3-0 down. A goal from George Howard , who had an excellent weekend in midfield, got us back in the game and a Geoff Lucas goal would have really made the proceedings juicy only for the goal to be disallowed and play brought back for a Red free hit! Again the blues scored and Peter Ross netted to give us some hope again but in the end our consolation was to be first to the showers and bar.

Our thanks to Mike & Dot Patton for an excellent weekend. The organisation and hotel was superb. Perhaps next year, a word could also be put in for the weather! My wife is still drying out from her “gentle” walk!

Roger Girling

Report: LX White - Reflections in the Lakes

White Team: Hazell, Nayar, George (capt), Specer-Knott, Grinham, Crute, Neeve, Kjellin, Forrest, Housham +GK


LX White started their campaign against LX Blue. Solid at the back and full of running in midfield, Whites came close on a number of occasions before right wing John Housham got the day’s opening goal. And a fine one too! He beat two defenders and, despite a stick tackle, his momentum carried him into the circle. Good umpiring allowed the advantage and John smashed an unstoppable shot in off the far post. Keeper Paul Finch made a fine save to thwart the Blues and so Whites finished 1-0 winners. 

Next up were Cumbria Masters. Against slightly younger opposition LX White struggled to find the rhythm of the first match and fell behind when Paul Finch, in a melee following a penalty corner, could only parry the ball as far as Alan Gaydon, who volleyed it into the net. Despite winning several penalty corners themselves, LX were held at bay by ‘keeper Roger Parr. Won one, lost one, so all square.

LX White made some positional changes before taking on LX Red, which soon paid off. Pressing hard from the pushback, Whites took the lead when skipper Graham George slipped the ball under a diving Martin Ferret following a slick move between Nigel Spencer-Knott and John Housham. Although the Reds equalised, Whites scored the winner when Nigel struck the ball hard into the circle, hitting Colin Pinks on the foot. The ball rebounded to Graham, who neatly clipped it with reverse stick into the vacant net.

LX had the better of the early exchanges against Northern Masters and took the lead when a superb cross by Steve Crute on the right picked out Graham, who duly obliged with a firm slap shot. Needing a win in order to be overall winners, LX couldn’t quite hold on and conceded a late equaliser. A draw wasn’t enough and LX White finished runners-up on the day.


This longer game was a re-match against Cumbria Masters, who had pipped LX for top spot the day before. LX attacked from the start and after several penalty corners were awarded a stroke, which Steve subtly flicked between the ‘keeper’s legs! LX held on for a 1-0 win, which made them overall the best team of the weekend.

Apart from those already mentioned in dispatches, George Hazell and Stuart Forrest were rocks in the heart of the defence, well supported by John Grinham and Henrick Kjellin on the flanks. Tony Neeve worked his socks off in midfield and Sudesh Nayar made a valuable contribution as a roving forward. Well done everybody for a superb team effort!

Our heartfelt thanks go to Mike and Dot Patton for organising such an enjoyable weekend.

Graham George

Report: LX Blue

Blue Team: Pearce, Pinks, Blackmore, Guppy, Wade, Hayes, Maylam(Capt), Durrans, Christopher, Wilkinson, Patton +GK

Blue V Whites result 0-1

In an evenly contested game there were few clear cut chances with Steve Crute getting the only goal of the match for the Whites who, on balance deserved their success. 

Blue V Reds result 1-0

Roger Lomas consolidated Blue's defence after unfortunately missing the first game. Another closely fought contest was decided when John Maylam crossed hard into the circle where Dave Durrans deflected passed the helpless keeper.

Blue V Cumbria result 0-1

After dominating the first 10 minutes of the game with some slick inter-passing Blues found themselves a goal down when Alex Gayden found the net from a narrow angle. Blues were unable to convert any further chances they created.

Blues V North result 1-0

As tiredness began to take its toll this game saw chances created at both ends. The game was decided when Ted Hayes latched onto a short corner strike on the right post and deflected the ball home. As North strove to equalize Roger Parr in goal made a number of incredible saves to maintain Blues advantage.

Sunday 21/06/2015

Blues V Reivers result 1-4

Unfortunately this was a bridge too far for Blues. Playing against a younger, fresher sides they were never able to control midfield and were constantly chasing the game. Reivers took the lead after 10 minutes but Blues fought back and equalized following a slick passing move which Jeff Jackson duly converted. Just before half time Reivers regained the lead with a sharp shot from the edge of the circle. Reivers scored a further 2 goals in the second half which they dominated.The score line would have been quite different without a number of superb saves from Martin Ferrett in goal who had an outstanding game.


Dave Durrans

Cumbrian Masters

Including LXers: Bill Warrender, Mike Patton, Andy Holden, Jeff Jackson

Cockermouth Lakes Tour - Ladies Walk/Hike 20th June, 2015

On Saturday 20th June, twenty two intrepid ladies, together with an assortment of dogs, set out to climb Sale Fell.  This is one of the easier fell walks, so we are told, and gives a wonderful view of Bassenthwaite Lake, Skiddow, and even Scotland on a clear day.   Sadly, we started our walk on anything but a clear day, in fact the drizzle got worse the higher we climbed!  However, everyone managed to reach the "summit", even though it was difficult to tell who was who under the assortment of clothing.  We had to take Dot's word that the views were worth the effort, but we all had a wonderful time, and miraculously when we reached the end of our journey, the sun appeared, and indeed the views I'm sure would have been magnificent.  The next stage was a visit to The Pheasant Inn Hotel, for a well earned cup of tea and scones (with lots of clotted cream and jam), which was enjoyed in the surroundings of their peaceful garden.  A great day was had by all, and special thanks go to Dot Patton who organised the whole day with her usual efficiency.

Sally Maylam