18th and 19th June 2011 at Cockermouth


Sat18th June 2011

Although a wet weekend was forecast, resolute LX’ers arrived in Cockermouth with rainwear and umbrella’s at the ready. With the majority travelling to arrive on Friday evening, the weekend got off to an early start with dinner in the Trout hotel. Saturday morning broke with low cloud and a threat of rain.

Keswick & West Cumbria Vintage  3  v.  LX Red  0

With Roger Lomas bolstering the forward line, LX began in unusual format against a lively K&WC attack. Attempts to get passing movements together proved difficult as LX endeavoured to develop some momentum. Alan Dures, our only ‘keeper for the weekend, was in early action as the opposition pressurised David Read and George Hazell at full back. Doug Barnes, Andy Holden and Mike Patton were finding difficulty in getting forward as the opposition were largely in control of the midfield and the forwards were having to drop back to help in regaining possession. Having held out almost to the half time break, LX then conceded 2 quick goals right on the half time whistle.
Regrouping for the second half, LX set about reducing the deficit and were more purposeful in attack, winning a couple of short corners. With the game now more even, LX were awarded a penalty stroke. Bill Warrender’s effort was on target but the ’keeper made a superb save, stopping the ball at the foot of the right hand post.
As the final whistle approached, K & WC struck once more, scoring as the final whistle blew.

Cumbria Masters  0  v.  LX White  0

Straight on to the attack from the word go, LX whites were determined to raise the LX flag! Prompted from midfield by Peter Danson, Austyn Leaverland and Adrian Money, John Land and Graham Martin were soon in amongst the opposing defence.
Getting their act together,
Cumbria Masters began to exert more authority in the midfield and the play moved into the LX half,  Mark Watson and Leon Mack being called upon to deal with raids down both wings. As defences got on top, half time came with no score.
With much the same pattern of play in the second session, neither goal was severely threatened and the game petered out into a no score draw.
All attendees had been invited by Doug and Fiona Barnes to their beautiful National Trust residence on
Derwent Island. The logistics of transporting all present to and from the hotel in Cockermouth to Keswick and across the water to the island had all been worked out in advance by Mike Patton and Doug Barnes and went without a hitch. The meal, also generously provided by Doug and Fiona turned out to be a truly sumptuous hog roast and a superb evening of Cumbrian hospitality will long survive in the memory of all who were fortunate enough to be present.
With the weather still heavily overcast the second days matches got under way.

Sun 19th June 2011

Keswick & West Cumbria Vintage  3  v.  LX White  0

The morning drizzle had stopped by the time the teams took to the field and the game began with both sides passing the ball around probing for openings. With the Cumbrians having the edge in midfield, Ted Hayes, Dave Ewing and Bob Jameson were fully extended and the feed forward to the attack was very limited. As half time approached and LX were getting back into the game a foray forward down the right resulted in Brian Woolcott being on the spot to slip the ball over the line only to discover that the Umpire had blown and awarded a penalty stroke. John Land’s effort was too close to the ‘keeper who saved comfortably.
The second session began with the game evenly poised and LX almost took the lead from a Mark Watson short corner strike, only for the Umpire to rule that the ball had not passed out of the circle. Meanwhile at the other end of the field Alan Dures was called on to make a number of multiple saves to keep the opposition out. Both sides went close in the later stages and the game ended with honours even.

Lakelander’s Vintage  4  v.  LX Red  1 

For the final game of the day, LX found it hard work trying to contain the youthful vigour of the Lakelanders who found their rhythm from the push back and were soon threatening the LX goal. Fluent passing and movement troubled Robin Mayes and David Read whilst Gerald Wilkinson Peter Ross and Colin Pearce found little opportunity to get forward. Alan Dures was in great form when the defence was breached. The pressure finally told as LX conceded two goals just ahead of the half time whistle.
Determined to take the game to the opposition, LX moved forward and the play was more even. Colin Pearce replaced George Hazell who had taken a knock and shortly afterwards John Ridings got himself onto the scoresheet, touching a loose ball into goal following a short corner. A second goal from a Gerald Wilkinson strike was only prevented by a Lakelanders defender with the goalkeeper beaten. Lakelanders then moved further ahead with two goals of their own and the reds had to be satisfied with the only LX goal of the weekend. 

After retiring to the Cockermouth Conservative club for food and drink, John Land expressed the thanks of all present to Mike and Dot Patton for a truly memorable weekend, to Doug and Fiona Barnes for their generous hospitality the previous evening and to Dot Patton for organising a walk around Buttermere for the ladies on Saturday afternoon. Finally, Robin Mayes presented Graham Martin with a Guide to Umpiring Hockey! 

LX White; P Danson(Capt.); A Dures; M Watson; L Mack; D Ewing; A Leaverland; A Money; B Woolcott; J Land; R Jameson; T Hayes; G Martin.

LX Red; R Lomas(Capt.) G Hazell; D Read; C Pearce; A Holden; R Mayes; P Ross; G Wilkinson; M Patton; D Barnes; B Warrender:

The Supporting Wives

Non Playing members; L Alcock; J Standish; T Darlington; G George:

Match Manager; Mike Patton

Your Correspondent; Bill Warrender